Monday, July 19, 2010

Downer the Imperialist

Downer the imperialist

I am an Australian living in China. I spent many years in PNG, started Enga Experience, a tourism venture that is now operated wholly by Enga villagers, and I try to market bilums on behalf of people from Western Highlands and Enga. This fiasco between John Howard, Alexander Downer and PNG has me ashamed of the way my country has treated PNG. There have been fine contributions from many individual Aussies. Our nation has been imperialistic and paternalistic toward our Melanesian neighbours, in particular, Solomon Islands and PNG. Mr Downer is, as Sir Michael Somare stated, an imperialist. I think that once the Australian psyche wakes up to this aloof and pompous fellow, we will be well rid of him and allow him to fade to pasture among the toffs of Adelaide. Forgive us, PNG.

– Adrian Keefe Fujian, Heilongjiang China

No comments: