Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ether of Digitalis for ESL Teacher

Our ships passed in the ether of digitalis, and with the passage, certain nuances were not as audacious as perhaps they may have been.

My classroom time has been, beneath the canopy of tutelage, the basic steel of my structure. My methodology has been framed around Cambridge text and the British model of classroom behaviour.

Our classrooms have been as small as one and as large as one hundred and forty. Hence my cryptic allusion to comedy. I would have expanded upon the extraordinary and difficult-to-comprehend story of my times in Botswana and Papua New Guinea. In Botswana I had to develop a township for 400 adults and their dependants, and from this to build a school, construct a curriculum that faintly adhered to a non-existent national education platform, and to take barely educated local Botswanans and train them to be teachers. This was my added responsibility as the general manager of Chobe Five Star Game Lodge.

You can't glibly categorise this experience under headings.

I have been successful because I do not fit the normal bill nor do I carry the slothful baggage of textbook exhaustion.

My time as an assistant to learning and growing can hardly be differentiated upon the basis of university or primary school classrooms. I do know that the energy required to manage a classroom of fifty four year olds is equivalent to a marathon. And I do know that not once in my time in front of young learners, not one of them has cried. That is something to crow abou

No comments: