Thursday, August 16, 2007

Chinese drivers

I have returned from three years in China. One hundred thousand kiddies were killed on Chinese roads last year, mostly on their way to and from school. Four hundred thousand all in all died on Chinese roads. But a full quarter of those killed were kids. That says something about road conditions in China. The driving culture is horrific. Drivers use klaxons, horns, sirens even, to propel a sonic boom in front of their cars to clear the road ahead of pedestrians. They don't slow down. They simply drive straight at them.
I was hit by cars three times, twice on a university campus. The other time a car left the road, raced onto the pavement and collided into me. The driver alighted and abused me for bumping his side mirror as he careened into me.

No comments: