Sunday, September 12, 2010

China Slave Market for Laowai Laoshi

Talk about slave market for laowai laoshi ... I feel not right when I go to collect my pay and there alongside me, in the queue, is my academic supervisor [Asst Dean] waiting to pick up his paltry salary of RMB2500 while I lick my lips lasciviously as I collect my huge salary. This is the China malady where the white face can pull in more parental suckers for the avaricious meanies who run the institution. In my second term of employment at a China university the Dean and the Communist Party Secretary purposefully over-enrolled students from the typical poor rural climes. That being so, when O Week began, the university had to turn away hundreds of students due to this chicanery. Parents were obviously livid and the police were called in to stop the riot. Months later, the self-same Dean and his Party Apparatchik were arrested, gaoled and stripped of all Party privileges. I was left to run the English show. I demanded and received a tripling of my salary and since then I have never accepted anything lower than my value to the institution.

No comments: