Tuesday, September 14, 2010

RAJESH SEHGAL, THE CHEAT, AND SHAOXING INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL SCANDAL

I am Australian and I have worked most of my life outside of Oz. I prefer it this way. I have built schools in remote and economically poor lands that ironically burst with precious humanity. It is this precious humanity that draws me into these places. It is the learning of their languages, their ways of thinking and how they manage the earth. Imagine landing in an otherwise unoccupied place where there is no infrastructure and no intrusion of the US, the UN, China or Russia; just a few adventurers keen to help.
But after four decades I decided to move to China where my initial job was at a mere RMB5000 pm. My second job in China really awakened me to the avarice of Chinese in the academic sphere. It was not the laoshi but the 'leaders', that pathetic nomenclature for Communist Party Apparatchiks, who stole enrolment fees from poorly paid rural workers who together managed to send one of two lads from their impoverished village. This woke me up quickly.
After working as DOS in Oman and Bangladesh and China itself I decided that because I am working in China instead of Saudi Arabia or UAE [where salaries are higher than in China] I should not necessarily and automatically downgrade my salary expectations. The profit that franchises such as EF, Webb, Disney et al manage to extract from their businesses is indicative of how capitalism has gripped China by the throat. It has squeezed so hard that the Chinese have been mentally and spiritually starved of their own humanity. Why then should I help these creatures become more obscenely rich?
Rajesh Sehgal of Shaoxing International School contacted me. I didn't apply to run his school. He asked me what my salary expectations were. I told him. RMB20000 plus pre-paid airfares and decent accommodation plus insurance etc and all the things that should go with the job. It suited this charlatan to have me on his books, to be able to publicise my being school principal while he was inviting enrolment from all and sundry. He printed brochures with photos of me and my wife emblazoned brightly. Meanwhile, this surreptitious creep had engaged Gold Star Recruiting's Jim Altrans to advertise for someone else at a much cheaper salary [RMB12000pm] and only three days before my intended departure from Oz to Zhongguo, and after I had emailed him several times, did he enlighten me as to his staggering duplicity.
Age! Bullshit! I was in China earlier in the year, in the same province, with no age hassles to bar me from working on a Z visa.
Rajesh Sehgal cannot disguise his duplicitous nature nor can he hide from his shame.

No comments: